London, England: The crew at Wight Vodka is proud to announce that the One Bar Playa Blanca in Lanzarote Spain has been voted the world’s favourite yachting bar! Together with Scuttlebutt Europe, and now in its fifth year, Wight Vodka ran one of the most important contests the world over, asking our yachting fraternity to vote for their favourite.
This year’s contest was again extremely tight between the winning bar and the runners up, including the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club, the Boatyard Bar & Grill in Annapolis, the Bitter End Yacht Club in the BVI, the Oar on Block Island, The King & Queen in Hamble, GB, the Yacht Club Micalvi in Chili, Maddie’s Sail Loft in Marblehead, Mass, Schooner Wharf in Key West, and Pier 23 in San Francisco.
Dan Hiza, co-owner of 50° North, the company behind Wight Vodka, said “This contest is by far one of my favourites to run, and the number of votes this year was incredible. The team at One Bar will receive a trophy and bottle of Wight to celebrate their win, as well as a few Wight Vodka regatta caps to show off. Many congratulations and let the party begin!”
Dan continued “We again asked participants to comment about their favourite bar and received thousands of fantastic submissions. Our favourite entries this year include:
- It is a dreamed refuge after sailing in the wildest and toughest area in the world.
- The shot and knot contest is the best: It's where I learned to tie a very fast bowline while increasing my shot drinking speed!
- There are pictures of us doing big, awesome sailing all over the world on the walls!
- Best Gin Tonics and Martinis served by Claudia, the Queen of all the Atlantic Crossers.
- The bar is an old bus and you can dance with just about anyone in the sand.
- Good-natured race-week-ribbing turns to black eyes and split lips late at night.
- You can step into the bar with all your gear and Wellies on, your Leatherman still on your belt and feel absolutely normal.
- The First Lady of the United States loves it there.
- Great pints of Doombar!
- TODO, en especial Claudia!
- Es mi bar!
About the One Bar
Located out on its own arm of the Marina Rubicon in Playa Blanca, One Bar’s presence is marked by the red and white lighthouse around the right hand side. The One Bar is the number one choice from local and worldwide sailors alike, boasting more than 300 types of Gin, Rum & Whiskey. No other bar has this quantity and quality in Playa Blanca. For more information on the One Bar please visit them on Facebook!
About 50° North
50° North are the creators of Wight Vodka. The company’s spirit and enthusiasm for the ocean, coupled with the centuries-old regatta traditions of the Isle of Wight (and of course a full appreciation of superior vodka!) culminated in the creation of the world’s smoothest, 42% ABV potato-based vodka. One sip of Wight Vodka will make a believer out of the most discerning connoisseur, and the company welcomes your joining a unique and elite class.
www.wightvodka.com. Tack & Gybe Responsibly.